Wednesday, January 28, 2009

OUCH!

As mentioned before, our Barred Rock hens just started laying (finally). As the egg-making machinery in a hen matures you end up with some oddities. We've had tiny little round eggs with no yolks (pullet farts) and regular sized eggs with bumps that look like the starts of other eggs.

The latest trend in egg strangeness has been the ginormous eggs that HAVE to hurt.

In this picture, the egg on the left is banty hen egg (I have 5 banty hens in with the Barred Rocks), the egg in the middle is a normal egg, and the egg on the right is one of the ginormous eggs.



These monster eggs usually have two yolks as in the picture below. I broke one of the yolks as I cracked this egg. They make fantastic fried eggs.



We're getting about a dozen eggs a day from 13 hens. I'm giving them away as fast as I can, but they're still coming out my ears. Anybody have any good egg recipes?

Oooo.. 13 is an unlucky number. That justifies the need for another hen, doesn't it? Hey, Craig....

No comments:

Post a Comment