Monday, December 22, 2008

Jonesing for dairy

Because we can't seem to get the silly cow bred, and because we're going to have at least 37 (!!!) unmilkable meat goats after March, we've decided to waaaaayyyyyy downsize the Boer herd and switch a big proportion over to dairy goats. (I'm still reserving the right to hogtie a Boer mama and milk her by force. I want milk, dammit!)

We'll still keep several of the Boer girls for meat and sell Mo and buy a Nubian buck. To get us started, I've reserved two baby girl Nubians from a great lady on the Homesteading Today forum. She's just over the state line in Arkansas (Yellville, Arkansas to be exact - cracks me up). The girls are due at the end of January, so we'll be making a trip south probably around the first of February. We'll keep these girls with Ringo and whatever billy goat we can find until they're old enough to merge with the Boer herd.

I'm a bit nervous about adding motherless babies to the Boers, but if necessary I can build a new goat shed in Buttercup's pasture and keep the new kids separate until they're a bit bigger. We'll have new Boer babies at the end of March, first of April. That may be a good time to move the new kids in with the herd. On the other hand, it might be the worst time of all due to defensive mothers. I just don't know. More research is in order! I'll probably also set up temporary quarters in the barn for little doelings, whatever billy we locate and the super secret Christmas goat. That will help us get these little does more friendly the wild child goats we currently have, and therefore easier to milk.

Here are the parents of the new babies we'll hopefully have in a month or so provided both ladies have little girls.

This is "Baby Girl" (I'm a HUGE sucker for spots). Sorry for the sideways picture, I can't seem to fix it:





This is "Jodi" - she's absolutely beautiful:





This is the sire, "Blueberry Pi". He's got very good bloodlines:

No comments:

Post a Comment