Saturday, August 16, 2008

I got a cow!!!


Today we brought home the newest addition to the farm, the Jersey cow Buttercup! Her name was Daisy when we picked her up, but Craig wants to be able to shout, "As you wish!" across the field like Westley in the Princess Bride. Thus, the change in moniker. I thoroughly expect her to say, "Farm boy, fill this with grain please" any day now.

She's extremely skinny, her back hooves are so overgrown that they turn up and her tail has been docked because she was raised in an organic dairy. She's not bred and not in milk and she has two huge, ugly white tags in her ears. But... she was only $650 and I can fix all those issues with some good groceries and some tender loving care. The bottom line is that she needed us, so here she is.

I did cut and color her ear tags so that they're not quite as unsightly. With her fancy new earrings she'll be the belle of the ball.

I've gotten the contact information for an artificial insemination technician and will be calling her soon. I so want fresh milk... and butter... and cheese... and yogurt... mmmmm!

She was giving 4 gallons a day at the end of her last lactation, so we may have to get some pigs just so we can use up the excess milk. I suppose the chickens wouldn't mind a little clabber either.

I think she'll end up being a sweetheart once she realizes that I'm more stubborn than she is!

No comments:

Post a Comment