Thursday, March 5, 2009

Billy Goat Gruff

Sasquatch was standing on the other side of the bridge that leads to the chicken house late late last night when I went out to feed the bottle babies. Well, it looked like Sasquatch in the dark anyway. In actuality, it was Mo, the billy goat. Apparently, he's found a sneaky way out of his pen and really really wants back up with the ladies. And who can blame him, they're good looking girls! However, I don't want the teeny-boppers bred just yet; I'm already going to have goats coming out my ears at the end of this month!

Mo is much sneakier than I thought a 250 pound goat could be. We have one older doe that I didn't want bred this year, so I never put her in the pen with Mo. I did, however, put her in a pen that is separated from the main goat yard with a cattle panel of 4 inch by 4 inch squares. Guess who's looking really darn pregnant? How in the world? I don't wanna know... I think we know how Mo's getting out of his yard, though. There's a bit of his fence that goes over a creek. There are several granite boulders around there. I think he's climbing up on the boulders and then jumping over the fence over the creek. He REALLY wants back up with the ladies!

This afternoon I heard what sounded like Craig starting a bar fight in the yard. "Ah, ya wanna fayt, do ya lad? Well come on, then!" I looked out the window and Craig had Mo by the horns wrestling a rope onto him. He got the rope on, and then got dragged a couple of steps, which apparently pissed him off (Craig, not the goat). I honestly wasn't sure who was going to win this battle. They're both about equally hard-headed.



Craig was victorious and Mo is safely back in his pen. Let's see Cesar Milan top that one!


No comments:

Post a Comment