Friday, November 21, 2008

I totally jinxed it

I knew I shouldn't have posted... I KNEW it! Buttercup's in heat. Three AI events later (ok, only 2 of them counted) and we've got mucous and bellowing and everything. I give up.

I think it may be too late this year to breed anyway. We've already missed this one because I doubt Emily could come out this late. That would mean another three weeks or so before we could AI again. Then, IF she settles, the due date would be September 27th, giving us a little baby to deal with when next year's cold weather hits.

Frustrating and sad. Maybe I can get Craig to get me a bred cow or a cow in milk for Christmas. Whatever the case, I hate feeding an animal that isn't productive... especially at the cost it takes to feed Buttercup.

Bollocks.

2 comments:

  1. (Rence from Keeping a Family Cow message board)

    Why not call Emily and ask? My guy will come out whenever I ask (within reason). Maybe she can come out first thing in the morning? Do you have access to a bull?

    If you can get another cow for Christmas, go for it!!! I wish I could get another.

    BTW, Buttercup is gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya, Rence. SHE sure thinks she's gorgeous!

    I'm working on access to a bull, but everyone around here has beefers. That'll just have to do, won't it!

    Thank you for stopping by!
    -April

    ReplyDelete